Sunday, January 09, 2011

My 2011 Blog Project

It’s a New Year and time for a new blog project. Each year I try to dedicate a series of blog posts to a theme. Previous themes have included Getting my Ducks in a Row  and Getting a Clue.

My 2011 theme is going to be “Making Women Count,” borrowed from Susan Bulkeley Butler’s book Women Count: A Guide to Changing the World. I first became interested in writing a series of blog posts on women when I read Betty Friedan’s book The Feminine Mystique. Friedan had discovered an entire generation of unhappy housewives who were duped into foregoing a career by advertisers and businessmen. They had figured out women will buy more things if they are kept in the underused, nameless yearning, energy-to-get rid of state of being a housewife. I spent the past year attempting to get a clue about how advertisers were able to do this. It was a frustrating year. I read several books mired in examples of advertisements designed to manipulate purchasers. I came to the conclusion, we the viewer of these advertisements, don’t really have a chance. They are everywhere. The last straw came when I read Michelle’s post From the Smartly: Beauty.  Her beautiful six year old daughter thinks she is not pretty because her hair wasn’t curled and she wasn’t wearing blusher and lip gloss in a team picture.

Here are some of the topics I plan on including in my series:

-Women Count for more than their beauty. Explore our cultures preoccupation with weight and beauty.

- Highlight other women who are making a difference.

- Give practical advice on how women can achieve their full potential.

- Read and review books emphasizing strong women or women who have discovered their passion. Study these women as role models and analyze what made them strong.

-Answer women’s questions on work and finance issues.

-Continue to get a clue about health and beauty products. Currently, there seems to be a product or procedure that will fix just about anything. I plan to continue researching what products are genuine and which are scams.

Throughout the year if you come across a blogger who is making a difference, a book related to the above topics or an article pointing out a health, diet or beauty product that is a scam I would appreciate it if you would bring it to my attention. Also, I do enjoy answering your finance and work questions so keep them coming. My email address is savvyworkinggalathotmaildotcom.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Savvy! I like your plan. Anything that helps women to value themselves and be stronger in the marketplace gets my vote. We have to take each otehr seriously if we expect to be taken seriously ourselves.

    Here's a link to Vivianne's Vista: http://viviannesvista.blogspot.com/2011/01/shadeism-unraveling-color-barrier.html

    Here post today includes a disturbing video on "shade-ism". I found it very disheartening, but it fits well with some of your findings.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this with me, definitely inspiring! Perhaps one day you could do a post or link to one of mine about helping women who do not have a way of standing up and being heard. I am thinking of our sisters in Africa, Afghan, Nepal, India, etc. They suffer more than most women in North America will ever understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dancin' Momma,
    I will be happy to. Thanks for the idea. If you would like to guest post or have a good book recommendation let me know.

    ReplyDelete